Rugs are gorgeous – but to keep them with a good look and make them last a lifetime, you need to know how to care appropriately. This rug guide compiled everything that you need to know to keep your piece always stunning.
The perfect rug will always add the glam and boldness that any home needs, and there is nothing better than making your precious piece continue to shine year after year. For that task, it’s essential to pay attention to some details, including caring for cleaning and using. In this rug guide, you will find everything you need to preserve your rug’s beauty.
Caring for your rug also means having some cautions about it; it’s why we will start this rug guide by talking about the cautions you should have to keep your rugs always stunning.
Avoid foot traffic
We believe every place is suitable for a rug, but it is always important to pay attention to the rug spot because this can impact the rug’s lifetime. For example, nothing damages a rug faster than footfall – in spaces like that, the better solution is to use durable rugs and avoid delicate fibers. So, the first tip from this rug guide is to pay attention to where you will stage your rug and if it is the best spot for your piece.
Be careful with the sunlight
Still talking about where you will stage your rug, sunlight is another important topic. Natural fibers can fade in sunlight; for that reason, if your rug is directly exposed to the sun, you should turn them from time to time to less effect.
Consider having a rug pad
Rug pads help avoid accidents by keeping the rug in place; therefore, they can help boost the cleanliness and increase your rug’s lifetime.
Rotate your rug
From time to time, it´s important to rotate your rug 180°, not just to avoid the effect of sunlight but also because of the foot traffic patterns.
Caring is the language of love, and it applies to your rug. If you care for your rug, your piece will last a lifetime and continue to glow. To help you with this task, we will continue this rug guide with some tips about caring for your rug.
How to clean your rug?
The first gold tip of caring for a rug is to clean it properly. There are many ways to clean your rug, and it will also depend on the type of material your piece is. Following, we highlight the important things to care about cleaning your rug:
- Vacuum your rug regularly: Vacuuming is a crucial step since it helps remove dirt particles from the rug and makes cleaning easier overall. To avoid damaging the fibers, we suggest using a hoover’s nozzle attachment rather than abrasive rotary brushes.
- Do a professional cleaning: Of course, you can care for your home at home, but from time to time, it’s essential to have a deep cleaning, and that’s where the professionals will help you. Therefore, the professional can also make simple repairs to your rug, prolonging the piece’s lifetime.
- Remove the spills immediately: Nobody wants to spill something in your precious piece, and we hope that you have enough luck to dont, but it is almost impossible to avoid it. When it happens, be sure to remove the stain immediately.
How to clean a shaggy rug
Shaggy rugs have a high pile. The cleaning process it’s simple: take it to an outdoor area and shake it to make the loose dirt and dust. Then, you can vacuum the rug carefully for deep cleaning. You can also use dry rug shampoo to keep it clean; you need to follow the product label’s instructions and enjoy your clean rug.
How to clean natural fiber rugs
Natural fibers rugs such as jute, sisal, and others, are durable and easy to clean. As what happens with the shaggy rug, the first step to cleaning this type of rug is to shake it off. Then, it´s time for the rug’s best friend, the vacuum. To keep your natural fiber rug clean, use the dry function of your vacuum cleaner to collect any dirt particles and dust. Your rug’s placement will determine how frequently it needs to be cleaned. High-traffic areas require cleaning more regularly than low-traffic ones.
How to remove stains?
One of the important things to make your rug always stunning is to avoid stains, but they may happen, and even the careful ones are not free from accidents. If you spill something on your rug, remove it immediately and follow the tips from this rug guide. But if the stain remains, leave your rug for a professional cleaning.
- Alcohol and soft drinks: you can use a solution of 1 teaspoon liquid dish detergent, 1 quart of warm water, and 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar to spray on the stain, then wipe the excess.
- Blood: use cold water or club soda and above with a cloth. Continue until the stain is removed.
- Coffee or tea: as with alcohol and soft drinks, you can use a solution of 1 teaspoon liquid dish detergent, 1 quart of warm water, and 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar to spray on the stain, then wipe the excess.
- Wine: Sprat club soda and blot with a clean cloth. Continue until the stain is removed.
After reading this rug guide, you are now an expert in caring for a rug. Read How to Stage a Rug Like a Pro to continue to improve your rug abilities.